Early Detection and Referral of Children with Malnutrition
Growth Monitoring Chart
Challenges with the Growth Monitoring Chart
- The birth weight is recorded for delivery at health facilities but seldom for home delivery.
- The date of the weighing and the weight of child are not always recorded.
- The weight is not always plotted in the chart.
- Special events witch may affect children growth are not recorded.
- After the immunization cycle is completed, children are not taken anymore on a monthly / two monthly bases making it difficult to plot their growth.
- Very often nutrition counselling and health education is not given along the weighing session due to lack of time and personnel.
- Even if the weight-below-the-curve indicates suspicion of acute malnutrition, it is not a diagnostic feature.
6 March, 2016